Friday, May 13

Gorky

Water of the Flowery Mill by Arshile Gorky
Water of the Flowery Mill by Arshile Gorky

I like the heat the tenderness the edible the lusciousness the song of a single person the bathtub full of water to bathe myself beneath the water... I like the wheatfields the plough the apricots those flirts of the sun. But bread above all...

When something is finished, that means it's dead, doesn't it? I believe in everlastingness. I never finish a painting -- I just stop working on it for a while. I like painting because it's something I never come to the end of. Sometimes I paint a picture, then I paint it all out. Sometimes I'm working on fifteen or twenty pictures at the same time. I do that because I want to -- because I like to change my mind so often. The thing to do is always to keep starting to paint, never finishing painting.

-- Arshile Gorky Arshile Gorky: Paintings, Drawings, Studies